Wednesday, February 6, 2008

Why did I decide to do this again

So its my 4th day in Palestine and I already feel like this is going to be harder than I thought it would. Why did I think it would be a good idea to completely deny about 75% of my identity for six months in the name of peace building. Everyone here is very nice but they say things in front of me that make me want to cry. Today someone said they would never want to learn Hebrew just because its what Israeli's speak. Another had a bad experience when she was invited to a shabbat dinner in the old city and has decided that all Jewish men are creepy. Last night after a few drinks a very nice boy from Berkley said after he met and talked to an Israeli for the first time when he first got here he realized that they're people too. Are you fucking serious. I mean of course their people. He told me this as if it would be new information to me. I wanted to hit him in the head and say Duh they are people. The worst is when The Americans talk about Israel and Israelis as if Every single member of the Israeli population is part of the government. We of all people should know about being part of a country where your government misrepresents you. Hoe many days until bush leaves office? Any ways I think the Palestinians in general are much nice about Israelis and Jews than the international students and they are the only ones that have a right to really be angry at Israel. So many times in the past three days I have desperately wanted to stand up and say I am Jewish and While I don't support most (or any) of the policies of the Israeli government towards the Palestinian people I love this land and its people and they are not all evil Palestinian killers and home destroyers. but then I would blow my cover and who knows what would happen. I knew that this would be difficult, but i don't think anything in my life could have prepared me for this experience. I have always lived in in bubbles filled with other Jews, and now my bubble has burst, but i think once the initial shock has worn of and I get into a routine here life will be easier, and a lot of the students are talking about going to Tel Aviv or Haifa so maybe then they will see that "the Israelis are people too" at least I hope so.


Now I don't want anyone to think im having a completely horrible time. I have met some very cool people here so far and the Palestinian volunteer students are amazing they have gone above and beyond to make sure we get everything we need and that we are happy and comfortable. now that I am done ranting I will share some of the more mundane events of my adventure so far. If you don't want to read any more don't feel bad I have a problem where I have to write every stupid detail down esp since this is for me as much as any one else so feel free to skim or just IM me for details.

Day one....

seems like a million years ago After getting my luggage I got a sherut (shared Taxi) from Ben Gurion to the Jerusalem Hotel in the old city where I was met by my German friend Thommi and his girl friend who's name I have forgotten. They Helped me drag all my stuff from Jerusalem to Ramallah and then from Ramallah to Birzeit Where his apt is. After a brief rest we went to a nearby restaurant for dinner my stomach was still queasy from the plane so i only had a salad but it was tasty . About half way through dinner the power went out so we had a candle light dinner and the owner of the restaurant came over and said to me "welcome to Palestine" They have power outages all the time I haven't experienced one again so far but im sure I will. after dinner we went back to the apt I took a nice hot shower which is good because it was freezing in the apt because there is no central heating here Thommi gave me a hot water bottle to put in my sleeping bad to keep my feet warm it worked wonderfully. I fel asleep very quickly and only woke at 5:30am from the call to prayer.

Day Two...

The next morning Thomas took me to the University with all my stuff and then he had to go to Jerusalem to do some things. then it was time to meet my new fiends. Every one was very nice and just a little awkward. we went around and learned names and then the program director welcomed us and went over rules and logistical stuff. Then the PR guy for the university came to talk to us about the history of Birzeit and the current situation. It was during this that someone asked about religious issues at the university and he mentioned that no one care so much about your religion and that there have been Jews on the program in the past etc.... I was tempted to fess up at that very moment, but I held my tongue and all was well. After that talk we had a very nice lunch and then a tour of the campus. then our respective land lords came and took us to our new homes. I am living with a Palestinian girl from San Diego she is very nice . The Apt is amazing. Its not the cleanest, but it is huge and I have my own room for the first time since I started college I was also pleasantly surprised to discover a wireless internet connection. Daniella and I unpacked a bit and then met with the group for a tour of the village of Birzeit. its very small everything is wit in walking distance its great. at the end of the tour we all went to a restaurant to have some dinner and drinks and get to know each other better. It was fun the only problem is that every one smokes so every time there is a social gathering I end up wreaking of smoke by the end, but oh well thats the price I pay to have friends here. At the end of the night I was walked home by one of the male volunteers since women aren't really supposed to be out late by themselves. and I promptly went to bed.


Day Three....

I was supposed to leave the house by 10ish to go register for my classes, but our hot water ran out so I had to wait for it to heat up before I could take a shower and then I had trouble getting a shared taxi to take me to the university so I took a regular taxi and it cost 10 NIS (about $3) but thats a lot considering the shared one is only 1.5 oh well Ill learn soon. I tried to go register but the computers were down so I had lunch with some other PAS (Palestine and Arabic Studies) people and then registered and then they took us on a tour of Ramallah. Ramallah is a pretty cool city. we also went to Arafat's Grave/monument it was pretty intense (and not like a circus or camping) After the tour of Ramallah we went to another restaurant and had more drinks and food. I tried the Palestinian beer Tibeh its pretty good. then I did some grocery shopping and then home. then at 11pm just when Daniella (my roomate) and I were getting ready for bed we hear knocking at our door. We were scared at first but then I heard English and a British accent. It was our head volunteer Omar and Vanessa a PAS student from England to take us to a party they were having. Daniella didn't want to go, but I cant say no. It was fun. More bonding happened and it ended up as an impromptu dance party which is always good. I was escorted home once again (this is going to take some getting used to) and and again went straight to bed.

Day four....

Today I became poor and payed for all my books and classes. I was sent to the finance building to pay and when I got there is was full of people and there was no real line so I sort of squished my way in and then eventually got to pay. Then to lunch with Miriam a Girl from Germany who has a Palestinian father. Then I walked back to the village with her and another girl did some more grocery shopping and then home to waste time Daniella and I went out a few hours later in search of money and food for me and and cigarettes for her. just as were were going out the door Danit my Israeli friend in Haifa called me. but I didnt answer in time so I called her back and she answered in Hebrew and I almost replied in hebrew but I caught myself just in time. I talked to her for a bit and then said I should go because I felt rude talking while walking with Daniella. She asked me who was on the phone so I lied and said that Danit was an Israeli that came to visit a friend of mine at American University and so then I became friends sort of with her. I hate lying! Ive been doing it non stop since I got here, but there is nothing I can do about it. Sometimes I think it wouldnt be such a big deal if I just told people who I was really, but I don't know what would happen or what peoples reactions would be and that scares me just enough to keep my mouth shut that was a problem today , while Daniella an I were walking we met up with some other PAS people and went to dinner with them. At dinner is the scenario I explained earlier. After dinner we walked around abit and I was once again escorted home.. and then I wrote the worlds longest blog entry. I you are still reading this I commend you and I will ty to make them shorter from now on, but no promises

No comments: