It was actually described this way by several other students on the program, but basically I went to Kyle and Ryan's party drank enough to make myself brave, and then told everyone not only that I am a Jew, but that I speak Hebrew, have spent a considerable amount of time in Israel and that I am friends with many Israelis. All in all it was taken very well. No one was in any way hostile towards me. I explained most of my political position which is mostly in line with theirs any ways so like I said before, its all about where I stand not where I come from.
The one thing I didnt try to explain is that I still think of Israel as my home land, because for better or for worse this land is where the only Jewish state in the world is located, and while it was unjustly located here, there isnt much that can be done about it now, and I dont feel more at home any where else in the world, than when I am in Israel. I am having trouble explaining this idea to myself let alone a bunch of slightly militant Palestinians and Internationals, so I think Ill stew over it a little more before I try to explain to them. for now its enough they they know who I am, and that I agree that there was no justification for the creation of the state of Israel at the expense of the Palestinian people.
Either way I feel a lot better now. I have even been helpful to some of the internationals when we were at the grocery store as half the products have Hebrew labels since they come from Israel. I realize now that it was rather silly of me to hide my identity. It came from a fear that was mostly ingrained in me from my Jewish and Israeli education and friends. I had nothing to fear, everyone still likes me. I think I got more shit for being a vegetarian yesterday than for anything I said at the party. so yeah for all of you that told me it was dangerous to be Jewish here Im going to spend the next 6 months proving you wrong!
and now on to real life.......
Sunday we (me, Tasha, Elizabeth, Miriam and Vanessa) were supposed to go to Jerusalem, but Hussan's car broke so that didnt happen. we went to Ramallah instead and I got an orange sim card and phone. So now I have two cell phones! its a little ridiculous, but oh well, now its cheaper to call Israelis and I now have a phone that works in Israel! after that we got some other stuff wandered for a bit and then went back to their apt and made a sort of beans and rice concoction that was originally supposed to be chili for chili dogs, but it was pretty good any ways and hot and filling which is all that matters when you are cold and hungry.
Monday was my second round of Arabic classes. Fusah was boring, but colloquial was interesting we learned a bunch of new vocabulary. At the end of class Sammi our Prof put us in small groups and told us to try to talk to each other in Arabic. The first question I figured out how to ask is "Wein Bantaloni?" which means "where are my pants?" Sammi didn't like that question so much, but everyone else thought it was funny, although the likelihood of my using it here is getting smaller every day... oh well I didn't come here for romance any ways.
After Arabic class Tasha asked if she could do laundry at my apt because they dont have a washer yet, so her and Elizabeth came over, and we all hung out for while, and then Tasha and I went to Nick and Santi's apt (Kelly if you're reading this Ive found your future husband his name is Santi hes only 18, but hes from Spain, is hilarious, and is def your type ill send you a picture when I can) When we walked in Nick, Santi, Katie and Vanessa were intently watching the last episode of the first season of Prision break. I didnt realize what season they were watching as I have never actually seen a full episode, but I said something about they had already broken out, and accidentally ruined the surprise oops. TV is bad for you any ways.
we were all hungry and lazy so we ordered pizza. I convinced them to get one veggie pizza and I got it with olives and corn! mmmm sooo good. After food we went to aliya's a resturant to be sociable with even more people and have a drink or 2 and at the end of the evening (around 11pm) William and another very nice Birzeit student whos name I am blanking on at the moment walked Tasha to her apt and then me to mine. I really dont think anything bad would happen to me if I walked home alone, but the Palestinian guys who have been hanging out with us are so adament that we not walk alone after like 9pm, and while the uber feminist in me says chivalry is crap, its nice to have the company.
Today I saw a herd of sheep on my way to school.... No really...as I was walking to catch the bus I passed by a Sheppard and his sheep grazing on a patch of grass near my apt. I almost ran back to my apartment to get my camera, but I was running late (as always) and I didn't want to be late for class, even if everything here runs on what Omar calls Arab Standard Time. Today when I was going to school it was wet out, but the sun was shining and it was very nice, but halfway through class it started to pour again, and once we go out of class it was yucky! It was only raining a little, but it was super foggy, and Katie made the observation that we were actually walking through a cloud, which makes sense considering how high up Birzeit is. Any ways after walking through the cloud and loving myself for bringing my rain coat Daniella and I stocked up on food, went home and resolved not to leave the apt until the weather was better or until we have to be at class tomorrow at 8am (boo) so now I am once again sitting in my room in front of my wonderful space heater and writing things that I cant believe other people are actually reading. this whole blogging thing is a little weird, but I think I like it a little more every time someone tells me they read it.
The one thing I didnt try to explain is that I still think of Israel as my home land, because for better or for worse this land is where the only Jewish state in the world is located, and while it was unjustly located here, there isnt much that can be done about it now, and I dont feel more at home any where else in the world, than when I am in Israel. I am having trouble explaining this idea to myself let alone a bunch of slightly militant Palestinians and Internationals, so I think Ill stew over it a little more before I try to explain to them. for now its enough they they know who I am, and that I agree that there was no justification for the creation of the state of Israel at the expense of the Palestinian people.
Either way I feel a lot better now. I have even been helpful to some of the internationals when we were at the grocery store as half the products have Hebrew labels since they come from Israel. I realize now that it was rather silly of me to hide my identity. It came from a fear that was mostly ingrained in me from my Jewish and Israeli education and friends. I had nothing to fear, everyone still likes me. I think I got more shit for being a vegetarian yesterday than for anything I said at the party. so yeah for all of you that told me it was dangerous to be Jewish here Im going to spend the next 6 months proving you wrong!
and now on to real life.......
Sunday we (me, Tasha, Elizabeth, Miriam and Vanessa) were supposed to go to Jerusalem, but Hussan's car broke so that didnt happen. we went to Ramallah instead and I got an orange sim card and phone. So now I have two cell phones! its a little ridiculous, but oh well, now its cheaper to call Israelis and I now have a phone that works in Israel! after that we got some other stuff wandered for a bit and then went back to their apt and made a sort of beans and rice concoction that was originally supposed to be chili for chili dogs, but it was pretty good any ways and hot and filling which is all that matters when you are cold and hungry.
Monday was my second round of Arabic classes. Fusah was boring, but colloquial was interesting we learned a bunch of new vocabulary. At the end of class Sammi our Prof put us in small groups and told us to try to talk to each other in Arabic. The first question I figured out how to ask is "Wein Bantaloni?" which means "where are my pants?" Sammi didn't like that question so much, but everyone else thought it was funny, although the likelihood of my using it here is getting smaller every day... oh well I didn't come here for romance any ways.
After Arabic class Tasha asked if she could do laundry at my apt because they dont have a washer yet, so her and Elizabeth came over, and we all hung out for while, and then Tasha and I went to Nick and Santi's apt (Kelly if you're reading this Ive found your future husband his name is Santi hes only 18, but hes from Spain, is hilarious, and is def your type ill send you a picture when I can) When we walked in Nick, Santi, Katie and Vanessa were intently watching the last episode of the first season of Prision break. I didnt realize what season they were watching as I have never actually seen a full episode, but I said something about they had already broken out, and accidentally ruined the surprise oops. TV is bad for you any ways.
we were all hungry and lazy so we ordered pizza. I convinced them to get one veggie pizza and I got it with olives and corn! mmmm sooo good. After food we went to aliya's a resturant to be sociable with even more people and have a drink or 2 and at the end of the evening (around 11pm) William and another very nice Birzeit student whos name I am blanking on at the moment walked Tasha to her apt and then me to mine. I really dont think anything bad would happen to me if I walked home alone, but the Palestinian guys who have been hanging out with us are so adament that we not walk alone after like 9pm, and while the uber feminist in me says chivalry is crap, its nice to have the company.
Today I saw a herd of sheep on my way to school.... No really...as I was walking to catch the bus I passed by a Sheppard and his sheep grazing on a patch of grass near my apt. I almost ran back to my apartment to get my camera, but I was running late (as always) and I didn't want to be late for class, even if everything here runs on what Omar calls Arab Standard Time. Today when I was going to school it was wet out, but the sun was shining and it was very nice, but halfway through class it started to pour again, and once we go out of class it was yucky! It was only raining a little, but it was super foggy, and Katie made the observation that we were actually walking through a cloud, which makes sense considering how high up Birzeit is. Any ways after walking through the cloud and loving myself for bringing my rain coat Daniella and I stocked up on food, went home and resolved not to leave the apt until the weather was better or until we have to be at class tomorrow at 8am (boo) so now I am once again sitting in my room in front of my wonderful space heater and writing things that I cant believe other people are actually reading. this whole blogging thing is a little weird, but I think I like it a little more every time someone tells me they read it.
No comments:
Post a Comment